FlightGear Flight Simulator Version Summary
December 17, 2007: Version 1.0.0 released
- CODE CHANGES:
- Upgrade to JSBSim 1.0: improved gear handling.
- Major update to the YASim helicopter FDM: highly increased realism
- Improved gliding (YASIM), with winch launching and aerotowing (by
either AI or MP pilots)
- Improved soaring scenarios, new aerotowing scenario
- Support for water planes (YASim): realistic float friction and
- Surface material aware gear in YASim: friction and "bumpiness",
aircraft sink in water
- Improved model placement using the UFO: It is now possible to select
and edit multiple objects at the same time, moves are relative to
the viewer position.
- Improvements to Air-To-Air refueling, with air-to-air TACAN for
easier locating, and KC135 and KA6-D AI models. KC135 can also be
used as an MP tanker
- New waypoint manager for autopilot/HUD
- New property browser dialog, which can be opened multiple times. See
Docs/README.gui for a a list of more features, like enabling verbose
- Addition of new MIL-STD HUD
- Improved viewpoints, including a fly-by view and a dynamic cockpit
view. The latter allows 3D cockpits to move a bit relative to the
pilot's head, which stabilizes the pilot's view at terrain and makes
turbulence look more realistic.
- Improved fuel and payload dialog for YASim
- Multiplayer chat, text and voice (using Asterisk)
- Improved Carrier Operations - FNS Foch added, new carrier-capable
- AI improvements, including ground networks for airports, flightplans
- Major improvements in taxiing and ground operations of AI aircraft
- AIShips wakes, etc
- Interactive/scripted control of AI aircraft
- Many Nasal enhancements, including debugging console, XML file
parsing, improvements to listener model. New extension functions
getAttribute(), setAttribute(), systime() for benchmarking.
- Use of all textured fonts on panels
- Fixed initial texture path problems
- Improved dynamic sun colors
- Update to World Magnetic Model 2005
- Path cache for aircraft configuration files to shorten startup time
- Submodels added to all AI Objects - MP aircraft can now have
- Addition of protocol for Garmin 400 series
- Addition of fluxgate compass
- Addition of GSDI for helicopters
- New altimetry method
- "Passive" mode for autopilot
- Tutorial system improvements
- Updates to The Manual
- More stringent header dependencies
- NEW AIRCRAFT:
- Boeing 787-8
- Northrop Grumman A-6E (Intruder)
- Airbus A320
- Nakajima A6M2
- Antonov An-2
- Northrop B-2 (Spirit)
- Bristol Beaufighter
- Bielsko SZD-9 Bocian
- Lockheed C130 (Hercules)
- Cessna C182 RG
- Sikorski CH-53 E (Super Stallion)
- Cessna Citation X
- Dornier DO-335
- Boeing E-3B (Sentry)
- Eurocopter EC 135
- McDonnell Douglas F-15 C (Eagle)
- McDonnell Douglas F-18 (Hornet)
- Chance Vought F4U (Corsair)
- Mainair Flash 2 Alpha
- Hughes H4-Hercules
- Kyushu J7W (Shinden)
- Junkers Ju 52
- Nakajima Ki-84 (Hayate)
- Messerschmidt Me 262
- Dassault Mirage 2000
- de Havilland Mosquito
- De Havilland D.H.110 (Sea Vixen)
- Sikorsky S-76 C
- Sukhoi Su-37 (Flanker-F)
- Avro Vulcan B.2
- Sikorsky S-70 (UH-60, Black Hawk)
- ENHANCED AIRCRAFT
- A-10 - Major model improvements
- Aerostar-700 - cockpit, systems, model, FDM
- as350 - FDM
- B1900D - new primus 1000 flight director
- bell206 - FDM
- bo105 - cockpit, systems, model, FDM
- c182 - model, panel
- ch47 - FDM
- Citation-Bravo - autopilot/flight director, FDM
- Concorde - panel, FDM, systems
- dhc2 - amphibious and wheels only versions added
- harrier - new external model and 3-D cockpit
- Lightning - startup tutorial, model improvements
- OV10 - 3D cockpit, weapons, NASA variant added
- pa24-250 - 3-D model improvements
- pc7 - panel
- sopwithCamel - completely new model
April 5, 2006: Version 0.9.10 released
- Many improvements to the multi-player mode. Other airplanes are now
updated smoothly. There is a really nifty google maps based moving
map that anyone can use to track all online activity.
- AI planes have improved ground following and are smarter about
selecting the active runway.
- Include the ability to send ATC and AI aircraft communication to a
local festival server to be converted to spoken speech output.
- Added a detailed model of the Honeywell MK VIII EGPWS ground
proximity warning system.
- Added background ATC chatter.
- Updated/improved rain cone rendering.
- Complete overhaul/redo of terrain textures based on USGS
- Updated manual.
- Upgraded to v2.0 of the JSBSim config file format.
- Fix a discrepancy in sign of twist and incidence values in YASim
between code and documentation.
- Updates to YASim for more fine grained propeller modeling.
- UFO will now honor elevator trim value so that it will respond to
the autopilot altitude hold module.
- UFO can adjust it's speed range so you can use it for super high
speed world exploration, or extremly fine grained precise positioning.
- Much work and progress with carrier interaction and launch/recovery
- Add a feature that allows the end user to click any where on the
terrain. The system will compute a ground intersection and report
back the lon, lat, and elevation of the click point. The click
point is reported in the property system so it can be read by just
about anything including external programs. Later we added the
ability to place an object at the click point as well.
- Add a feature to play one-off wav files. These are qeued and played
sequentially. This was then leveraged to build an ATC background
chatter module in nasal that can be turned on/off at run time. This
could also be leveraged for tutorials or other interactive type
scripts to play prerecorded messages at specific times or under
- Allow clock to report local time as well as universal.
- Add a model of a KLN89 GPS.
- Allow nav radios to be slaved to the gps.
- Allow enabling/disabling of menu entries.
- Replace old hardcoded frame rate display with a much more flexible
- Add a listener function to properties so that nasal code can be
triggered whenever a property changes. This is more efficient than
- Add a save-on-exit option to save user preferences.
- Add support for point sprites.
- Add support for emissive layers (such as lights) on 2d panels.
- Updated gui styles.
- Updated airport and navaid data.
- Added a new Nasal/XML based tutorial system.
- Fix a bug in the metar (real weather) threading that could lead to
long pauses and even crashes.
- Various compiler/platform fixes.
- Fix various valgrind complaints.
- Better use of exceptions in places.
- Fix the 2d compass texture handling.
- Many tweaks and improvements to our keyboard input handling
- Added a first attempt at MS-VC8 project files.
- Updated aircraft:
- A4/A3F (cleanups and updates, functional drag chute)
- A-10 (3d cockpit, fdm tuning, munitions, drop tanks)
- AN-225 (fdm tuning)
- BO105 Eurocopter (new livry/logo options.)
- B-52F (major overhaul)
- Boeing 314 (3d cockpit, fdm updates)
- 747 (modeling fixes)
- Cirrus SR20 (improve interior a bit)
- C172 (added KLN89 gps)
- C310 (many modeling updates)
- Citation Bravo (many modeling updates, Primus 1000 PFD)
- Concorde (updated to v2.1, new views, sounds autopilot, fdm
updates, new systems)
- DHC2 Beaver
- F-16 (modeling and munitions updates)
- MiG-15bis (adds some 3d cockpit instruments)
- PC7 (various cleanups)
- Seahawk (general tidy up, cannon, heat haze, catapault launch strop)
- T37 (geometry, sound, fdm updates)
- YF-23 (misc model updates)
- New aircraft available:
- Boeing 707
- 737-300 (Brand new version)
- Canberra BI8
- English Electric Lightning (F.1A)
- Lockheed 1049 Constellation
- Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star
- Messerschmitt Bf 109
- Ogel (a for-fun fantasy airplane.)
- New OV-10 with Clickable 3D cockpit
- Piper PA24-250 Comanche 250 (N7764P)
- Piper Aerostar 700
November 17, 2005: Version 0.9.9 released
- New well integrated volumetric clouds by Harald Johnsen
- Removed 'old' 3D clouds code.
- Fixed the jitter problem with 3d cockpits.
- Volumetric shadows are now supported so that aircraft can cast
shadows upon themselves as well as the ground.
- Better support for redoing livery textures on an individual aircraft.
- Support for seasonal terrain textures. (Updates to summer textures
plus new winter textures added.)
- Carrier - added working arrester wires and catapults. The carrier is
selectable as a starting position. AI has been added to the
carrier in the form of an operating box and an automated turn
into/out of wind. TACAN beacon added.
- Extensive revisions to the Multiplayer code. Multiplayer servers are
now available. A Google-based map server is also available
- Enhanced weather modeling (lightning and rain.)
- Support for high G redout/blackout effects.
- Add status updates to the initial splash/startup screen.
- Allow switching the tower view location at any time.
- Add support for configuring views with asymmetric view frustums.
- Many updates to gui/dialog box infrastructure. Ability to alter
border thickness, change fonts, dialog boxes are draggable across
the screen, you can enable automatic line wrapping, select
colors, and allow key presses to be bound to widgets.
- Replaced many hardcoded dialog boxes with xml configurable dialog boxes.
- Support for xml configurable gui themes.
- Help dialog boxes supported for each aircraft listing special keys,
global keys, procedures and performance data.
- Updates and enhancements to many of the dialog boxes to fix problems,
expose new features, enhance usability, etc.
- Added a generic, XML configurable, autopilot framework, and several
high level, configurable filter implementations for use by autopilot
- Added a transponder and Altitude encoder.
- Made the instruments code much more configurable, it is now possible to
only include instruments that are actually present.
- Implemented the groundcache code which made it possible for aircraft
to follow the ground precisely and, as a result, made it possible to
land on aircraft carriers.
- Updated JSBSim version since the last release. (More updates
pending after this release.)
- YASim: expose "spool-time" of a jet engine as a config parameter,
add an oil temp model, support gear compression along any arbitrary axis,
reworked MP calculations for super/turbochargers.
- Allow setting individual sample/update rates for any of the PID
- Support TACAN instruments. And an IVSI instrument.
- Support for new animations and effects such as heat-haze and chrome.
- Dynamic taxiway following at airports equipped with a logical ground
- Ability to define "AI" scenarios with scripted moving objects that
interact intelligently with the environment and the simulator state.
- Depricated old (somewhat less the spectacularly conceived)
electrical system model in favor of a much more flexible script based
system that can be tailored to any individual aircraft.
- Include an external utility that can feed saved nmea tracks back
into FlightGear. If you take a gps on a real flight with you and
capture the output, you can replay your flight in FlightGear.
- Added a function that can intersect any arbitrary vector with the
loaded scenery and return the hit point.
- Many updates and fixes to the joystick configuration files, many new
joysticks directly supported.
- Removed all lingering dependencies on plib's SL sound library.
- Add support for OpenAL 1.1 and alut. OpenAL is a 3d sound system supporting
directional sound and doppler effects.
- Better cross platform compatibility with our standard network structures.
- More cpu friendly frame rate throttling code that can leave more cpu
available for other apps.
- Various Nasal (scripting) bug fixes and language improvements.
- Various bug fixes, various platform/compiler compatibility fixes,
several memory leaks fixed.
- New aircraft available (in various stages of developement): A380,
Boeing 314 (seaplane), Citation Bravo (glass cockpit), Hurricane IIb,
MiG-15bis, TU-114, B29, C150, and SR20.
- Aircraft that have had updates since the last release: 737, A-10,
AN-225, B-52F, BAC-TSR2, Citation-II (550), Comper Swift, Concorde,
Hunter, OV10, Spitfire, T37, B1900d, bo105, C172 et. al., C182, DHC2F
(Beaver), F16, Fokker DR1 Triplane, Fokker 50 (turboprop), Fokker
100 (jet), J3 Cub, P51, Santa, Seahawk, and 1903 Wright Flyer.
January 18, 2005: Version 0.9.8 released
- Added an encoder and transponder to the available avionics modules.
- Updates to the AI traffic manager.
- Updates to the submodel system. This allows things like contrails,
payload dropping, projectile firing, and aircraft carrier landings.
- Added some controls for aircraft carrier operations.
- Updated to sync with latest JSBSim developments.
- YAsim adds support for contra-rotating propeller pairs as well as
crude models for ITT, Oil Temp and Oil Pressure in the jet turbine
- Instruments, avionics, and subsystems are now configurable per
aircraft. You can assemble the correct componets available for each
- Updates to the wet compass to make it behave much more like a real
wet compass including various errors and motion effects.
- Make display list usage optional since these can be a net
performance loss on some older or low memory platforms.
- Make sound inaudible until after the scenery is loaded.
- Move radio stack and avionics code from cockpit library to
- Added several digital filters to the autopilot: exponential, dobule
exponential, moving average, and noise spike. These are available
to aircraft designers via the autopilot config file.
- Make sure the ATIS reports surface winds at airports above sea-level
- Default C172 3d model has been completely reworked and many things
have been fixed or sized or placed more accurately.
- Replace old basic.dat.gz and runways.dat.gz with apt.dat.gz
- Fix a crash that could occur when the joystick config specified more
buttons or axes than the physical hardware provided.
- Fixes to make FlightGear work with 16bpp visual depth.
- Various FreeBSD fixes.
- Various MSVC fixes.
- Various Mac OS X fixes.
- gcc 2.95 and 4.0 fixes.
- Updated aircraft: 737, A-10, AN-225, B-52, BAC-TSR2, Concorde,
Spitfire, BO-105 Helicopter, F-15 (updated flight control system),
Fokker DR1 (triplane), Fokker 50, Fokker 100, Seahawk made
carrier capable (working arresting hook),
- New aircraft: Cessna Citation-II (wip), Beech 1900D, DHC-2 Beaver
- Updated KAP140 autopilot instrument (used in default C172.)
- Updated Nimitz model (aircraft carrier), updated radio tower models,
added Oracle head quarters to bay area scenery, added Dumbarton
bridge at the south end of the SFO bay, added a model of Alcatraz,
October 12, 2004: Version 0.9.6 released
- Added some initial support for "submodels" which can be used to
impliment things like contrails, flares, tracers, etc.
- Make real world weather fetching a bit more robust and network friendly.
- Ensure the entire world is initially loaded before initializing the
flight dynamics (avoids wildly varying frame rates at a time when
the FDM might be trying to do various initialization steps that
might benefit from consistent and fast frame rates.)
- Other various (and minor) code cleanups, tweaks, and fixes.
- Fixed ATIS voice file.
- Updated aircraft: A320, Bo-105, Comper Swift, Concorde, F16,
Fokker-50, Fokker-100, Hunter, MD11, PC7, Spitfire, adjust
C172 cockpit sound levels, and Sgs-233.
- Updated joystick configs: CH pro yoke usb, Cyborg Evo, Thrustmaster FCS.
- Fix a bug in the nasal fuel tank management code.
- Return Canadian ILS's to nav data.
- Cleaned up some of the 3d models around the bay area.
- Add support for display list based rendering which yields
substantial performance gains for many systems.
- Synced with latest JSBSim code.
- Fixed a reference point bug in YASim.
- Revived the hi-res (tiled) screen shot code so you can again produce
insanely and arbitrarily large resolution screen shots.
- Beefed up the tile pager so it can more sensibly handle insanely
July 29, 2004: Version 0.9.5 released
- New AIModel based air traffic subsystem (Durk Talsma)
- Updates to the AIModel subsystem.
- Switched audio subsystem from plib's "sl" to OpenAL.
- Added support for SDL (pre-compile time configuration option.)
- Threaded tile loader now enabled by default.
- Overhauled Nav database code to directly support Robin Peel's
- Synced with latest JSBSim developments.
- YASim now supports a nasal (script) based fuel management system.
- YASim adds a simple turbo prop engine model.
- Added an xml based gui/widget layout system for building dialog boxes.
- Make gui windows dragable/repositionable.
- Hide the mouse pointer when it sits idle. Mouse pointer
reappears on any mouse motion.
- The GPS module has been overhauled.
- New joystick configurations added: Cyborg Evo, Top Gun Fox2
Pro USB, MacAlly iStick USB, SideWinder Precision Pro (on Windows.)
- Updated aircraft: 747 dynamics model,
A-10, AN-225, B-52F, BAC-TSR2, T-37, T-38,
YF-23, Beech-99, BO-105 (helicopter), DC-3, F-104, F-16,
Fokker 50, Fokker 100, Pilatus PC-7.
- New aircraft: Concorde, MD-11, Spitfire IIA, TU-154.
- Updated airport, runway, taxiway, windsock, beacon, and tower data.
- Updated world scenery based on SRTM terrain data. New
scenery includes accurate radio towers for the USA.
- Fix a small bug in the "generic" export protocol.
- Fix (workaround) the shrinking dialogs bug.
- Delay FDM initialization until initial scenery is fully loaded.
March 26, 2004: Version 0.9.4 released
- Implement SimGear's (aka Andy's) Nasal scripting language in
FlightGear and integrate with the FG property system.
- Many updates from David Culp and David Luff to the AI
aircraft and ATC modules.
- Complete overhaul of the autopilot system. The new system
uses a much more advanced PID algorithm, is much more
flexible, and is completely reconfigurable for each aircraft.
- Added the ability to fetch current weather in real time
during a flight (via a thread) from the weather.noaa.gov web
site and update the current weather conditions in the sim.
- Added properly working VASI/PAPI lights.
- Make the ground intersection code smart so allow flying under
bridges, taxiing on the lower level of the bay bridge,
taxiing into hangers, etc.
- Added a utility to automatically manage scenery installation and
- Several updated ground textures, plus a variety of new random
- Much additional work on the San Francisco area buildings and bridges.
- Added a Comper Swift (nice), a Hawker Hunter (nice), added a
- Updates to the 737 (nice panel, 3d model, and flight model),
updates to the 747 flight dynamics, updates to the OV10, T38,
AN-225, bo105 (helicopter), better sounds for the DC-3,
updates to f104 model, many updates to the F16, updates to
the J3 Cub, 3D cockpit added to the pa28-161, updates to the
sgs233, overhaul of the tsr2 and yf23 models.
- The UFO became Santa Claus over the holidays, but it is back
to being extra terrestrial.
- First stab at a weather radar instrument.
- Added a number of basic 3d instruments to the instrument
library that could be reused used for any general aviation
- Clean up much of the extraneous alias system entries for
aircraft. Generally this means that if there is only one
version of an aircraft, there is only one entry and no
aliases. If there are multiple versions of an aircraft, we
may still have an alias to point to the preferred or default
- Added RedHat packaging files.
- Added some perl script utility functions which are useful
when writing remote perl scripts that interact with a running
copy of FlightGear. Includes routines to facility remote
control of data logging and even some simple graph plotting.
- Updates to OpenGC interface.
- Various JSBSim updates.
- Various YASim updates.
- Various UIUCsim updates.
- More work on the native multiplayer system.
- Sorted out the confusion between left, right, and parking
brakes vs. the cockpit controls vs. the wheels they apply to.
- Much infrastructure added to support future GPS instruments.
- Fixed a meter/feet conversion problem in DME distance
calculations which would cause it to often read quite high.
- Fixes to nmea output so it can better trick a moving map
software application into thinking it is talking to a real
- Fixed a subtle problem with our star database that has been
lurking for many years, but it took an astronomy expert to
spot the subtle misalignments.
- Add support for Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, thrustmaster top gun
afterburner USB, Logitech WingMan Force 3D, Logitech Extreme
3D Pro USB, and Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro joysticks.
- Removed the old WeatherCM module (it can be resurrected from
CVS if any one ever wants to do that.)
- Removed the NetworkOLK module (it can be resurrected from CVS
if any one ever wants to do that.)
- Removed support for the PSL scripting language.
October 24, 2003: Version 0.9.3 released
- Added a flight "replay" system.
- Many updates to the ATC and AI aircraft subsystem. (David Luff)
- Add support for moving cloud layers.
- New "symbolic" time of day dialog box for easily setting dawn, dusk,
- Aircraft are now each self contained in their own individual
subdirectories for easier end user addition and removal.
- Many improvements to scene lighting throughout the day->night
range including more realistic sky and fog colors, more
realistic scene illumination, better dusk/dawn sky coloring,
better specular lighting support.
- A nice new chase view has been added.
- Added displaced thresholds on all runways that have them.
- Updated default scenery for the KSFO area.
- Many buildings and bridges added in the San Francisco area.
- Updated airport and navaid database, many new taxiways, many
corrected runways, many new airports (especially outside the USA.)
- Updates to the man page.
- Better Win32 packaging (more standardized installer, plus a launcher
which allows selection of starting location and starting aircraft.)
- Added an initial cut at modeling helicopters.
- Support multiple inside the cockpit views.
- Updated FlightGear Flight School tutorial.
- Use the field elevation for GS when no specific altitude listed in
- Fix to translate DME and TACAN X/Y channels to paired VHF frequencies
correctly. Thanks to Jorge Van Hemelryck for the fix.
- Fixes to runway search routines (didn't always work correctly under
- Many fixes and updates to the autopilot. Autothrottle tracks speed
much better with much less jumping around.
- Expose the tuned navaid via the property system to support building
more advanced avionics.
- Improvements to the environment manager and gui's, more
control over turbulence, ability to specify boundary
condition layers as well as aloft condition layers.
- JSBSim updates including a new turbine engine model that supports
things like starting and stopping procedures and thrust reversing.
- UIUCsim updates (compiler warning and namespace conflict fixes.)
- YASim updates (fix drag from shutdown engine, helicopter support,
better in air startup support.)
- Support for "clock" instruments that operate independently of
computer system time.
- Annunciators shouldn't work if electrical system not serviceable.
- A few updated splash screens.
- Added various fields to net_ctrls and net_fdm to include various
failures, faults, control surface positions, and other interesting
- A few updated joystick definition files.
- Various keyboard mapping tweaks and changes.
- Many updates and tweaks to default material properties and random
land cover objects.
- Updated aircraft: 747, A320, T-38, A-10, B-52, F-104, Fokker 50,
Fokker 100, Piper Cub, P-51, UFO, YF-23, Ornithopter, A-4, C172,
- New Aircraft: J-22, Paraglider, SGS-126 Sailplane, ASW 20, and
AN-225 aircraft; Bell 206 JetRanger, CH-47 Chinook, and Ecureuil
- Updated cloud textures.
- Removed dependency on Metakit. The airport and runway
databases are now stored in a simple flat file ascii
- FreeBSD, Solaris, MSVC, Irix, Mac OSX, cygwin, and mingwin fixes.
June 4, 2003: Version 0.9.2 released
- New aircraft available: P51-D (w/ full 3d cockpit), Sea Hawk
(WV908), a research ornithopter (propelled by actual flapping
wings), A10, B-52, F-104, F-15, F-16, OV10, PA28-161, T-6A Texan II,
T-38, British TSR2, YF-23, 737,
- Updated aircraft: airwave extreme hang glider, asw20 glider, A-4
Skyhawk, Beech-99, Cessna 172 w/ 3d cockpit, Cessna 310 w/ 3d
cockpit, DC3, Piper J3 Cub, 1903 Wright Flyer, Sopwith Camel, Space
Shuttle, Boeing 747-400
- Overhauled menu/gui system and made it xml configurable rather than
hardwired. Include support for things like checkboxes, sliders, and
- Added some early multiplayer features.
- Added support for in-air presets relative to a VOR, NDB, or fix.
- Support for Futaba, Airtronics, Hitec, JR, Multiplex and Tower R/C
transmitters using the RCJoy USB interface box (see
- Much improved sky and coloring as well as more realistic coloring of
the sunset and sunrise.
- Clouds are drawn on a surface that better matches the underlying
curve of the earth.
- A few updated terrain textures, better variety of random ground
- Most weather options can now be set via the GUI. Added an option to
randomize the weather.
- Various instruments and systems can now be failed/unfailed via the
- Developed scripts to build Navaid and ILS databases from DAFIFT,
FAA, and other data sources.
- Update Navaid and ILS databases based on DAFIFT, FAA, and other data
- Continued development of voice ATC, robot aircraft AI, logical
taxiway networks (continues to be a work in progess, but much
progress has been made.)
- Separated out much of the low level model/material management code
and moved it over to SimGear where it can be potentially used by
- Separated out the low level sound effect playing/management code and
moved it over to SimGear.
- Added functions to the "telnet" interface to allow remote management
of autopilot waypoints.
- Support the parking brake in the "external" flight dynamics interface.
- Added support for an audio panel (set of switches to set various
avionics audio sources on/off in the aircraft.)
- Add support for speed brake and spoiler controls.
- Many code updates to UIUCmodel including support for ornithopters
(flapping wing vehicles.)
- Many JSBsim code updates include a new turbine engine model.
- Added a "named pipe" external flight dynamics model interface.
- YASim updates including support for manual-pitch control props,
support for wing washout, and adjusting aircraft masses as fuel is
- The property picker interface now shows the property values changing
- Added support for a simple annunciator panel (fuel, oil, vacuum,
volts dummy warning lights.)
- Added a "gyro" model. This can be driven electrically (turn
coordinator) or via vacuum (attitude indicator). If one of these
systems failes, the corresponding gyro will spin down realistically
an introduce realistic errors in the gauge reading.
- Model attitude indicator tumbling at extreme attitudes.
- Modeled the pitot system and use that drive the air speed indicator.
- Added a very simplistic volts/amps model to the electrical
system...enough to make the gauges behave plausibly and drive the
annunciator panel correctly.
- Updated the vacuum/suction model to behave more realistically.
- Added Italian and Polish translation for the GUI.
- Mac OS X fixes.
- Better FreeBSD support.
- Mingwin fixes.
- Improved native sgi compiler support.
- MSVC fixes.
- Fixed problems in marker beacon audio.
- Fixed several subtle problems in the modeling/positioning of glide
slope transmitters in FlightGear
- Don't allow the dewpoint to go higher than the temperature.
- Don't allow gust speed to be less than base wind speed.
- Fix a couple problems in the external fdm interface that prevented
FlightGear from being driven properly by an external source (i.e. to
act as a image generator only.)
- Fixes to camera parameters for external views (especially when rotating
the view around the different axes.)
- Many miscellaneous code clean ups, many bug fixes, and much code
December 5, 2002: Version 0.9.1 released
- Fixes a problem with a missing file in the source
distribution of 0.9.0
- Updates to AI aircraft subsystem (this is a work in progress)
- Added a canned ATC voice handling class (using prerecorded
- Added voice ATIS
December 3, 2002: Version 0.9.0 released
- Support for fully animated, fully clickable 3d instrument panels.
- Support for runway, approach, and taxiway lighting. Lighting is
directional and intensity varies smoothly with relative
- Many new and updated aircraft.
- Improved runway textures.
- Some improved terrain textures.
- Added a util called terrasync to runtime fetch just the
scenery you need from the master scenery server as you
fly. No need to pre-download large chunks of data.
- Add a vacuum system and support for it's failure.
- Add a pitot system and support for it's failure.
- Model gyro spin for various instruments.
- Added support for modeling complex aircraft electrical
system. Sample implimentation for a C172, simplistic
electrical model provided for other aircraft until their
specific system is modeled.
- Added a "presets" section to the GUI.
- Localization support for GUI and for command line option
help, including the ability to specify a custom per language font.
- Support for specifying an initial startup runway.
- Splash screen now slowly fades out revealing the ready to run sim.
- Support additional joysticks: Logitech WingMan Force,
Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D (USB), and Saitek
Cyborg Gold 3D USB, CH Virtual Pilot USB/USB CH Pedals,
- Many updates to External/Network FDM interface.
- Many updates to the JSBSim FDM model code.
- Many updates from the UIUC folk to their FDM package.
- Many updates to the YASim FDM model code (fuel usage,
tunable induced drag parameter, better gear tuning, fix a
ground effect bug, and a standalone config file compiler.
- Make rotational rate FDM values available in the property tree.
- Fix a subtle bug in the ssg partial tree deleter code.
- Started a new XML configurable GUI subsystem.
- Some preliminary support for AI driven aircraft.
- Fix ILS back course needle deflection.
- Fix for ATI driver "issue" causing instrument panels to be all gray.
- Support for toggling 3d instrument hotspot visibility
- Tweaks to instrument panel night lighting.
- Added a per engine fuel pump switch.
- NOMINMAX fix for cygwin/gcc-3.2
- Renamed External FDM to NullFDM
- New module/submodule system.
- IRIX build fixes
- Restructured some of the initialization code to facilitate
reseting the sim to alternate presets (airport, runway,
offset distance, altitude, speed, etc.)
- Fixed DG heading bug hold to work with new instrumentation updates.
- Updates to autopilot to let it work with perfect values as
a compile time option.
- Split Nav/Com units, and DME out into their own source files.
- Fixes to support newer versions of plib/cvs
September 7, 2002: Version 0.8.0 released
- The world is now populated with random ground objects with
appropriate type and density for the local ground cover type
(buildings, water towers, farm houses, silos, cows, trees, etc.)
- Many (most?) ground textures updated for a much nicer, more coherent,
more realistic overall look and feel.
- Added a java client library for FlightGear.
- Added some external scripting examples (python.)
- Implemented a Bendix/King KT 70 transponder.
- Implemented a Bendix/King KR 87 adf.
- Added support for 3d instrument panels inside 3d cockpits.
- Added support for animation of 3d models tied to internal properties.
- New/updated aircraft include: Cessna 172, Piper J3 Cub, DC-3, A4
Skyhawk, Cessna 310, 747, 1903 Wright Flyer (non-linear with stall
modeled, based on wind tunnel data.)
- Convert the magic carpet into a UFO, complete with sound effects and
a 3d model (based on real world data of course.) :-)
- Environment manager overhaul
- Support for a base wind speed with gusts.
- Support for a base wind direction with variation.
- Support for more dynamically reconfigurable cloud layers. Cloud
layers are no longer hard coded.
- Updates and additions to the FAQ
- Improvements to the sound effects module.
- Autopilot fixes to allow it to work much better on large airliners.
- Added a generic interface for running the flight dynamics model as a
separate process communicating via a network connection.
- Synced with the latest JSBSim code.
- Synced with the latest UIUCmodel code.
- Many fixes and updates to the YASim FDM (fixed flap drag issue, new
tail wheel lock, lots of solver fixes, and fixes to other internal
- Added support for menus defined in an xml file.
- Make the help system start more robustly/quickly in Win32
- Added support for detecting the name of a joystick and using the
appropriate default joystick config file.
- Overhauled the remote/network property interface.
- Added a --show-aircraft option to dump out a list of all the
available aircraft you can select with the --aircraft=NAME option.
- Added a --random-wind command line option.
- --wind= option can now contain ranges,
i.e. --wind=min_dir:max_dir@min_speed:max_speed; the system will
automatically vary the wind within these ranges.
- A "physical" crash (i.e. too-hard impact with the ground) causes the
sim to freeze. You can then reset the sim to the starting state
with the menu->reset option.
- Support in the scenery tile cache for maintaining tiles in the cache
relative to several view points that could be
very far apart.
- Brake makes the magic carpet fly backwards.
- Many clean ups, fixes, and improvements with the tile
pager. Memory free is now done incrementally and spread out
through multiple frames to hide it.
- Modernized the autoconf/make scripts.
- Cleaned up old cruft from the build system.
- Default to using FGEnvironment
- Removed support for efence (in favor of valgrind.)
- Bumped minimum plib version required up to 1.4.2, however the latest
cvs (and hopefully release) works much better.
- Added valgrind debugging config files/scripts.
- Weeded out many warnings/errors flagged by valgrind.
- Overhauled the FGSubsystem class.
- Fixed reporting of winds, cloudbase and altimeter setting.
- FGSteam converted to a proper FGSubsystem.
- Fix fog on 3dfx cards.
- Added internal support for turning each tank on/off individually.
- Added support for a fuel selector switch.
- Fixes to builtin property browser.
- Fixed several math overflow problems with time elapsed calculations
that had crept in. These would cause some things to stop updating
(like portions of the instrument panel, and radio station frequency
- Updates to the network OpenGC interface.
- Irix fixes.
- Mac OS X fixes.
- MSVC fixes.
- IA-64 w/ Intel compiler fixes.
- automake/conf script enhancemnts and fixes.
- Updated the UIUCModel code.
- Removed some dos line endings that crept in.
- Spelling fixes.
- Removed some depricated code related to the old view
- Fix a problem with VOR station lookups where we wouldn't
always find the closest station of a given frequency.
- Changed the default Nav radio frequencies to be more
appropriate for SFO.
- Retrimmed the C172
- Added seats and other interior stuff to the J3 Cub, and
retrimmed. Also fixed wing incidence in the 3d visual model.
- Fixed C310u3a-3d. 3d cockpit instruments can now be seen.
- Fixes to the DC-3 such as tank location; other surface and
wheel position adjustments. Increase effectiveness of
rudder, vstab, and hstab.
- Updated some of the preconfigured joystick files.
- Updated man pages
- Fixed problem with pressure/altitude getting botched up after a reset
- Use a nicer helvetica font for the menus.
- Various fixes to the internal pui property browser.
- Fixed a typo in the scenery file loader that could cause a crash on
- More joystick configuration defaults. (Saitek Cyborg Gold 3D USB,
non FF sidewinder precision 2 usb)
- More texture tweaks.
- Additional fixes and panel work for the J3 Cub.
April 20, 2002: Version 0.7.10 released
- Much work on drawing and animating 3d aircraft models for
things like the chase and tower views. Propellers spin, control
surfaces move, gear retracts, etc.
- Overhauled mouse handling code and make it user configurable.
- Added a new environment (as in weather) subsystem.
- Added a new logging module
- Added a new ATC subsystem.
- Virtual 3d Cessna 172 cockpit (work in progress) but many
things are animated and working.
- Virtual 3d Cessna 310 cockpit.
- Instrument panel background can now be a set of tiled
textures so we can achieve much higher resolution.
- Major property manager overhaul.
- Major view code overhaul. All views are now configurable
via config files.
- Major overhaul of the sound manager, it is now much more
configurable with many sound effect improvements.
- Separate XML I/O operations into a separate header.
- Implement a standard FGSubsystem interface for module consistency.
- Add waypoint dialog now shows entire current waypoint list
in a scroll box.
- Use an LED font for radios (and added infrastructure/support
for additional fonts.)
- Continued work on developing a generalized network
interface to an external flight dynamics model running as a
separate process on the same or different machine.
- Initial glideslope and climb rate can be specified from the
- Fixes and improvements to make ground trimming more robust.
- Many JSBSim updates and improvements, JSBSim now exports
all it's interesting internal state via the property manager.
- Many updates to UIUCsim including support for non-linear
- Move tower view location when teleporting to a new airport.
- Created a new /devices subtree in the property manager to
display current device status.
- Many YASim updates and bug fixes, autogen contact points
for collision detection, support for full engine startup
procedure, minimal support for magnetos, support skid objects
(non-rolling gear objects), reduce idle power a bit, export gear
compression amount to the property tree, include wind when
- Fixes to the property picker/browser.
- Fixes and updates to the configure script.
- Several potential memory abuse bugs detected (valgrind) and
- Fix an instrument panel text bug ... an integer overflow
could prevent the text from displaying if the panel was turned
off for more than 37.8 minutes.
- Fixed a segfault when trying to audibly ident a nav
station. Changes in the sound manager code broke some
- Fixed a bug (another int overflow) which could trick the
event manager into thinking the next time to run the events is
way in the future.
- Various performance optimizations.
- More work on saving/restoring flights
- Of all the ILS stations of the specified frequency, pick
the one the most directly points at us.
- Various restructures in the scenery loading code in
preparation for more flexible runway lighting support.
- Fixes/improvements to the scenery/line intersection code.
- Various IRIX fixes.
- Various MSVC fixes.
- Various compiler warning messages fixed.
February 16, 2002: Version 0.7.9 (final) released
- Fixes to the Thanks file.
- Fix --time-offset in the man page and options help.
- Fixed the spelling of Celsius.
- Cleaned up some stray cout's
- Removed some redundant FG... class qualifiers in various headers.
- GUI dialog box fixes for autopilot.
- Ensure that initial engine settings are copied over from FlightGear
- FreeBSD fix from JSBSim.
February 13, 2002: Version 0.7.9pre2 released
- JSBSim FGPiston mixture improvements
- Enable Audio by default in MSVC builds
- Added a clock freeze option.
February 12, 2002: Version 0.7.9pre1 released
- Switch to JSBSim (jsbsim.sf.net) as our default flight model.
- Added additional aircraft: Cessna 182, Cessna 172 (ifr panel),
and a Cessna 310 (twin prop).
- Added an entirely new set of flight dynamics modeling code by Andy Ross.
Includes several aircraft such as a 747, A4, and DC-3.
This is (Y)et (A)nother Flight Dynamics (Sim)ulator. It is a first cut
of a "different take" on FDM design. It's intended to be very simple
to use, producing reasonable results for aircraft of all sorts and sizes,
while maintaining simulation plausibility even in odd flight conditions
like spins and aerobatics. It's at the point now where one can
actually fly the planes around.
- Added an optional embedded http server that provides a property
manager interface to external programs and scripts.
- Added an optional embedded http server that can serve out live
screen shots to anyone on the web.
- Sync with the latest JSBSim code.
- Added simple ATIS support.